|REVIEW| Lush Face Masks: Ayesha Mask Review

ayesha mask
This Mask Smells Like Incense.

It's been almost a month since I finished the tub and I think it's better to do it sooner before I forget how the mask was. In my Lush Cosmetic Warrior Mask Review, I mentioned that I purchased the masks in Japan. Compared to the Cosmetic Warrior Mask (I will call it CWM from now on), this lasted four days longer (i.e. later expiry date). 

The reason I purchased Ayesha was because the Lush beauty assistant in Japan told me that it helps combat acne. However, when I came back home and checked online, the USA Lush website tells me that Ayesha is formulated for the reduction of wrinkles. That explains the tightening and tugging feel after using the mask! So why did the beauty assistant recommend me this? No, it could not be due to language barrier because the beauty assistant speaks perfect English. Guess we need to decode the ingredient list below to find out. 

Like CWM, I used Ayesha on a daily basis except this with a small hiatus in between to allow me to use up CWM first due to its earlier expiry date. I've talked about CWM a few weeks ago and you know how I felt about that mask. So, let's find out how Ayesha performed, shall we?

INTRODUCTION
In the CWM post, I've done an introduction on Lush so I'll save some reading time here and let's jump straight into what you're here for: the the product itself.

PACKAGING
This is packaged entirely the same as the CWM in a small black plastic tub with detailed descriptions on the cover and the bottom. It feels sturdy in hand and it comes with a screwing lid. Once you open it up the smell of the mask hits you directly due to the lack of protectant lid. The tub is also recyclable! I was told that if I bring five of them used Lush containers back to any Lush store, I will be able to get one free item of my choice! This is a PLUS POINT!

However, similarly to CWM, I disliked the fact that it does not provide a spatula for scooping out the mask. The opaque tub is also not very good for gauging how much product I have left. Due to that I was unable to estimate the amount of product for each use which ended up in me using it past its expiration date like CWM. 

INGREDIENTS

(Skincarisma)
The Ayesha mask is made from Fuller's Earth, Honey (Mel), Elderflower (Sambucus Nigra) & Lime Tree Flower (Tilia Europaea) Decoction, Glycerine, Fresh Asparagus (Asparagus officinalis), Fresh Organic Kiwi Fruit (Actinidia chinensis), Kaolin, Witch Hazel Extract (Hamamelis virginiana), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis), Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Elderflower Vinegar, Bentone Gel, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Fragrance.

*Occurs naturally in essential oils

The featured ingredient in this mask is the Fresh Organic Kiwi Fruit. Kiwi fruit is known for its skin benefits. It is one of the top 10 highest vitamin C containing foods on the planet. Collagen, being the most abundant protein in our bodies and the building block that maintains the skin, muscles, bones and tendons, is dependent on vitamin C. According to a published research, Journal of Cellular Physiology, the polysaccharides in kiwi fruit help double the synthesis of collagen when this activity reduces as we age. Kiwi is also high in carotenoid and antioxidant lutein, which protect the skin from UV light. But that does not mean you should stop wearing sunblock after using the mask. Sunblock is still an essential that you MUST wear every day, yes, EVERY day! If you are interested in knowing more about the benefits of kiwi fruit, you can check out this link here

Now that we know that Ayesha contains kiwi and that kiwi is rich in vitamins, I finally understood why this mask was introduced to me. We've all long known that vitamin C not only helps collagen building but also reduces the appearance of acne scars, which is why the market has a wide range of vitamin C serums available (like the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C Serum!). The vitamin-rich kiwi can help brighten dull spots and acne scars, which are the aftermath to acne issues.

Lush puts together Ayesha using a blend of tightening and toning ingredients to refresh tired-looking skin. On its USA website, it also listed out the benefits of the other ingredients:

1. Enzymatic asparagus, which does away with dry bits;
2. Honey, which hydrates and soothes redness; and
3. Witch hazel, which has an astringent effect to leave skin taut, tight (there goes the tightening effect) and looking fresh, giving dull, tired faces a bright, youthful glow.

ayesha mask
This is how the mask looks like. The colour can be a bit off-putting but don't let it fool you, it does a great job in tightening the skin!

USING THE AYESHA MASK
The mask smells like the incense my dad burns at home every morning. If you don't know what that smell is, you can walk into any buddhist temple and try to inhale the smoke (or just walk into a Lush store and request to smell the Ayesha Mask). That is what it smells like. It is not bad, I am used to that kind of smell but it feels weird to have it on my face. What's worse, the colour is also similar to the colour of an incense. I could not help but feel like I'm putting mashed incense with water on my face. No offence, I am a buddhist myself and I highly respect my religion as well as any other religions. 

Since it was made from fresh ingredients, I kept the mask in the refrigerator to ensure its freshness. You know I like my masks cold, so this is not a problem for me. Compared to CWM, I am more into Ayesha mask even though putting it on required as much work as CWM. It works as promised in tightening the skin and I am more tolerant to the smell compared to the quirky CWM smell. It also does not drip during application so you are safe to use it while standing/sitting.

Again like CWM, if you are thinking of using an old foundation brush for application, dump that idea. The mask consistency is very thick that IMO, brushes will not be able to pick up nicely. What I did was using my bare hands to scoop it up and smooth it all over my face and I suggest you to do the same. Just make sure you wash your hands real well to avoid contaminating the whole tub. 

Usually I wait for 10-15 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Because the mask has a tightening effect, I did not add in a massage session while washing it off in fear of pulling my skin too much. Although I've come to love Ayesha, the white residues left on the floor and the basin after I washed off the mask are still a big issue. I had tried to be more careful while washing to avoid dripping everywhere but it did not really help and I really hate that I had to wash the bathroom every time after masking. I guess nothing is perfect.

EFFECT
Like I mentioned above, it really tightened up my skin. But I don't really have any wrinkles yet except one or two fine lines under my eyes so I don't think it is a good mask to use now at my age. However I did realise that it lightened up some of my acne scars which I am desperate to get rid of.

VALUE
I would give credits for its promised tightening effect and skin lightening properties. Its handmade specialty and the use of natural ingredients are big plus points as well. I really love the effects that I  see on my skin although I feel that I am a bit too young for the mask. Hence in the short term, I will not repurchase because I want to try out other masks that are piling up in my drawer and it is impossible to get the mask now that I am in Malaysia.

So, if you are interested in natural masks for mature skin, this is it. Lush is available in many of the European countries as well as America and certain Asia countries. You can check out this link to find out if it is available in your country. Malaysians however, this is not available here so you might want to grab it while you're overseas or get someone else to help buy it for you.

p.s. It is, however, available in our neighbour country Singapore.

Speaking of price, ¥1,000 (RM39.20 or US$8.95) is slightly pricey for a product that can only last for four weeks and is so small in size (only 60g or 2.1oz). It gave me around seven to eight uses (like CWM) so each use costed around RM4.50 to RM5.20 (US$1.30 to US$1.12). Forgive me for this, I am an accounting student.

So this is it, my Lush Ayesha Mask review. After reading this, will you consider buying the mask? Or are you already using the mask? Leave a comment below to let me know about it! I'll be more than happy to learn about your experience and how you feel about the mask. If you have any questions regarding to this, feel free to ask me in the comment section below and I'll try my best to answer them.

Thank you for reading, see you in the next post!

I bought the mask myself and the review is strictly based on my personal opinion of the mask after personally trying it out. Please make sure you consult the Lush store assistant and try out the mask in store before purchasing. Don't forget to 'smell' the products before buying as it is a must to make sure you can tolerate the smell.
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for leaving a comment too! You have just made my day! <3
Make sure to check back as all comments are read and replied to with much appreciation. :D