Chinese New Year

It is again the time here in Malaysia to celebrate the Chinese New Year. In the past, this was undoubtedly the most anticipated holiday of the year because I did not have to go to school for at least 10 days and I got to 'collect' angpaos (translate: red packets which contain money) from the marrieds/elders! Of course, the excitement also included the one and only chance to touch and ignite the now-illegal (or maybe it always is illegal) firecrackers.


This year is special.

First, it rained here last night. A very unusual downpour silenced the night which had always been filled with the sound of fireworks, making my dreams extraordinarily peaceful. I slept through the night without being awaken by the ear-booming fireworks.

Secondly, I am in college. My school has no regards at all for the much celebrated Chinese festival. I am forced to be back at school so soon! It is unacceptably early but there is nothing I can do to change that since the school had let us off another week before this (giving me a six week holiday).

Honestly.


Thirdly, cous and her family are off to Penang (a state in Malaysia) to enjoy her four day holiday (which is sadly way shorter than mine). That means I don't get to meet her during the week and we don't get to go visit our grandparents together (although we had just done that on the 17th). She is all of my childhood and it is weird to not have her around when we are celebrating this festive week.

Candid group-fie!

Lastly, I don't enjoy these days all that much. Most probably because I am older, going through Chinese New Year is just like going through the aging process, except with a loud ticking clock constantly reminding you your age. This year I first started hearing people asking whether I have a boyfriend. Why people? I am only 21, wait! No! I'm only 20 (six more months to 21). I still have years to enjoy before I turn into the slave of love. Hopefully I'm gonna regret using that metaphor for one day.

Thank you for reading, see you in the next post!

No comments

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for leaving a comment too! You have just made my day! <3
Make sure to check back as all comments are read and replied to with much appreciation. :D